THE MIDDLE WEST UNITED STATES' MECCA of FINE ARTS CRITICISM

Sunday, May 16, 2010

May New Month Here New Music to Hear

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera. I was given it as a birthday present for a trip to Japan; its strange how after going without one for so long I cannot bear to have events undocumented anymore.

May’s New Month here was overall one of the best so far in the series. While it didn’t get going until ten I felt that for the most part all the people there were really supportive and a great part of the scene. Up first was Brian Feldcamp playing in the basement along with a keyboardist, who I had seen play with Greg Brown before, as well as Teaadora herself on drums. I had seen Brian a few times before and while his swampy blues covers are not really my thing I especially enjoyed this; Teaadora on the drums really helped to push the temp and make the songs more of an almost punk feel to them. A couple of times I felt like maybe Brian thought about trying to slow it all down but I’m glad he went with it, worked really well.

Moving back upstairs was Vince Aguilar who plays in local hardcore punk band Night Brigade who are pretty big around these parts and played at one of the Warp Tour dates last year. He was playing I guess what you might call folk punk, very impassioned but thankfully not really over the top.

After Vince, who I met and was a really nice guy, finished his set the keyboardist from earlier fucked around on Vince’s guitar and then played a broken Hammond organ that was sitting around. He then went back downstairs to play his keyboard. Teaadora started messing with the output on the mixer and began to rap and sing along. She then went back to the drums and laid down some pretty crazy breakdowns. By far one of the most entertaining and enjoyable sets of the night.

Back upstairs again for Fredericksburg, Virginia based Sacred Harp (Dan'l Bachman) who was making a stop on his tour with Telegraph: Solar Future. He played four songs that were pretty trippy. The first featured him with this pump accordion and a small microphone attached to his throat. Then he brought out a sitar and played that for awhile. I had never actually heard a live sitar before so that was interesting but I enjoyed the two guitar pieces that he played after it the most.

Next, in the kitchen was The Dirty Disaster or something like that which had a guy playing guitar (or was it a bass?), some dude playing random percussion, and a girl singing. The fun thing was that small percussive instruments were handed out, I was given a cowbell, and everyone got to be involved in their set. That way I wasn’t paying so much attention to their jammy music and was focused on hitting my bell.

From then it was back to the basement for Sacred Harp’s tour mate Telegraph: Solar Future (Bret Rushia) a New York based ambient/drone artist. He had a projector set up and played along to a twenty minute visual collage that focused on lots of trippy light effects. I always appreciate when artists do a little something extra. Similar to what Hastas have been doing lately with their videotape collages, it’s much more enjoyable to watch live ambient/noise/drone when there is something more to watch than just someone turning a knob. Some guy came down halfway through and proceeded to talk very loudly for the rest of it. Picked up a CDR, tape, and DVD of the video from Bret on my way out.

Finally, or at least the last set I watched before leaving at 2 AM, was an improvisational set with Kyle Riley, of Hastas, and Jeremy Ross, of Bo Knows. Completely amazing, one of the best of the night. Kyle had the keyboard he’s been playing lately attached to a ton of pedals and was making dreamy, layered noise while Jeremy attacked his guitar playing a jagged rhythmic pattern that eventually seemed to become dreamier as it went on. Similar to Hastas or when I saw My Bloody Valentine, the loudness of the music and the layering makes it all really mix to the point where you wonder if you’re making up the sounds or if they are actually occurring. Picked up a split from Jeremy with his project Bo Knows and The Rebel. Review to come at some point.

1 comment:

  1. fyi: Brian Feldcamp was the keyboardist Rob Hagle was the blues guitarist

    ReplyDelete